Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Now we try to change our eating habits

I've always felt that I needed something to give me that extra "push" to start eating better. Over time, I have changed over to whole grain breads and pastas, even sneaking them into meals that my Monkeys will all eat. My problem has always been sweets. (Here's where I blame my upbringing...) I often use food as a reward. For myself and the kids. Toilet training involved candy. Going to shul involves candy. Being a good listener involves candy. I did make an effort with our eldest - she got to choose a book at the bookstore when she finished her first reward chart. It was all downhill from there.

After the dentist fiasco yesterday, I decided that we have to start limiting the crappy food that goes into our bodies. All of us. So I went to the supermarket and bought an INSANE amount of groceries that look good when fresh. The only problem is, most of the great ideas that I get while grocery shopping are fleeting. Gone. As soon as I walk in the door and put the food away.

I think I'll go make a menu. Any suggestions?

3 comments:

  1. Well, what did you buy?

    We try and menu plan on Wed nights, so we can view the sales flyer (which begins the next day) and buy things that are healthy AND on sale. We then menu plan for the week based on what is on sale and what we already have around. This also allows us to shop for Shabbat at the same time. Sometimes we still have to go to the store again for the basics (ie milk, eggs) but usually, we're good to go for the week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great more lettuce that will rot in the fridge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm.... Anonymous - you sound remarkably like a certain husband that I know...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!