Friday, September 4, 2009

Volusion not a friend to their longtime supporters

Good news for all you Volusion users! Increased bandwidth for those who have been with Volusion for a long time.

They just implemented a new pricing structure and have kindly given us loyal supporters additional bandwidth to say "Thank You!". I have been with them since the launch of my online store in 2007. I called to downgrade my plan as I refocus my business. While on the phone with a super-nice customer service agent, he lets me know that I will have to approve the change to the plan structures by e-mail. My current plan allows for 1000 products and 5 GB of bandwidth. They increased my bandwidth to 10GB just because they love me. Oddly enough, new subscribers who sign on with the plan at the same price that I am paying per month will now get 5000 products and 15 GB of bandwidth!!!

I let the very nice CSR know that he should let the "powers that be" know that they should up their current users to the new plans automatically, and he said that most people are just happy for an increase in bandwidth. Well, if they like getting 10GB, imagine how freaking happy they will be to know that they can get 15GB for the same price!!!

The truth is, I'm downgrading. I don't even need the extra products or bandwidth. I just don't think it's the way to go for a company that is on it's way up. I'm a big fan of showing appreciation to the customers that you already have. They are the ones who got you to where you are now... Shouldn't you thank them instead of treating them like sh**?

Just sayin'.

4 comments:

  1. Hi there!

    I'm sorry that we made you feel that we were taking you for granted- that was not our intent, and I'd like to apologize on behalf of all of us here at Volusion.

    As you mentioned, we recently added a bunch of bandwidth to all of our existing customers' accounts. No catch - we just did it to show our appreciation.

    We also recently kicked off a new marketing promotion that contains some limited-time packages that we are testing. It is important to note that these promotional plans are not apples-for-apples comparable to the regular plans. For example, the promotional Steel plan has a few more products, about the same amount of data transfer, and fewer newsletters when compared to the Steel plan that most of our existing customers are on.

    Prior to launching this promotional pricing we ran the numbers and saw that, based on *actual usage*, most customers would be best suited with their existing plans. But there are some customers who, based on their business needs, feel that they would fit better in one of the new plans. We are happy to accommodate - just let us know, and we'll get you squared away in a jiff.

    Sorry again that you were made to feel like we were trying to get one over on you - that was not our intent. We value each and every one of our 15,000+ customers, and strive to do right by you every day.

    Regards,
    David Mitzenmacher
    Chief Customer Officer
    Volusion
    TalkToDavid@volusion.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. David,
    Thank you for all explanations and feedback. I really appreciate your follow up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I contacted them for the same reason.

    I would like to switch to the new plan but I am afraid that something will arise later on that will make me regret it. (Once you change, there is no going back)

    I feel imprisoned by Volusion. I wish I had built a "Proper" website from the start. It would have been a lot cheaper and a lot less grief!

    Once you have put all the hard work into setting up your store, Volusion have you by the balls.

    Their favourite phrase is "I'm sorry, the thing you would like to do is not currently supported".

    They have the nerve to ask you for additional bandwidth fees, 1 month after we lost half of our monthly income because of an attack on their server.

    There is no file access or access to permission settings (well, none that are useful to add things like file uploads or external live chat programs)

    There are so many errors in their code it is unreal! (I'm talking hundreds of HTML/CSS errors) and they refuse to fix them.

    They don't even have access to their own files. This makes it impossible for them to change elements that are vital for obtaining high search engine rankings.

    My advice. Steer clear.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!