Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Coffee and Kids

So, I am that parent that other parents look at and whisper about. They see me with my children and they are critical of me. Not all the time. But yesterday was one of those times. How do I know? My MIL told me. (Thank G-d for MILs!)
Yesterday, I took my Beautiful Girl (almost 8 yrs old) to run a bunch of errands and then we were going to go out for Tea. Since we live in North America, this meant that we were going to a coffee shop. Before we went in, she asked if she could have an iced coffee instead of tea. Basically, she wanted the slushie version of java. Since you can't get this without caffeine, I was hesitant. Then she tells me, "Make sure mine is decaf". I love this girl! I told her that I would get one and she could have a bit of mine, but I wouldn't let her have her own -- too much caffeine. Anyway, the machine wasn't working so we had plain-ol' decaf iced coffees. I felt happy that the caffeine thing became a non-issue.
During my MILs regular suppertime phone call, she tells me a scandalous story about a mom and a little girl that she saw, and the little girl was *SHOCK* drinking an iced-coffee! Could you believe it! How irresponsible of the mom! Caffeine at such a young age!!! Quick - Call child services!!!
LESSON LEARNED: Mom, don't assume that things are what they look like. And I will do my part by making sure that I only let my BG have iced coffee when she is in a foreign country!

1 comment:

  1. I want to do coffee with you and N. Decaf or not!!!
    p.s. your an awesome mom

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!